Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Number Three

The wifey insisted I use the picture with tomatoes...

That does not stop me from immediately following with a picture of it SHOULD be eaten.

Today we begin with a story. I try new recipes all the time. More often than not I get the Spock eyebrow lift from the wifey. This roughly translates to "WTF where you thinking".

So back in February I asked her to look for some recipes she wanted to try. Shortly I received an email with five recipes. The recipes lacked names or links to the sources, so hence we have NUMBER THREE.

Number One both of us found terrible (honey and Sriracha do not mix well), Number Two was forgettable (chicken, spices, something, something), Number Four never got tried (ew cranberries & chutney on chicken, you can cook that yourself wifey), and Number Five was ok at best (needs orange juice, something we do not stock typically and therefore not worth the effort). Number Three however was fantastic. On top of that my "I lived on frozen dinners before I met you & eat take out every night you are not home" wife proposed an excellent substitution!

See we both hate mushrooms because eww fungus. She suggested substituting broccoli. I had my doubts, but I went along for the ride. Lo and behold, it works. Also she would never let me forget it if I did not include this story here. Anyway enough history onto the meat and potatoes (literally).

Resources:
2 lb chicken breast halves, cut into four pieces thicknesswise (sounding familiar at this point?)
salt and pepper
garlic powder
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoon butter, divided
1/2 head (ish) of broccoli, florets separated and very finely chopped
3 tablespoons Marsala or white wine
8 tomato slices (optional)
2-3 green onions, green stalks thinly sliced
4-8 Mozzarella cheese slices

Method:
Season both sides of the chicken with garlic powder, salt, and pepper.

In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat. Add chicken to the heated skillet; cook for about 5 minutes on each side. Remove to a baking dish. Add 1 more tablespoon butter to the skillet along with the wine then sauté the broccoli until tender.
Pour broccoli mixture over chicken in baking dish. Top with tomato slices and sliced green onions. Place Mozzarella slices over all. Bake at 325° for 25 minutes or until cooked through.

Commentary:

The exact amount of broccoli, green onions, and tomatoes is really to taste here. And if you have good taste no tomatoes. Yuck.


Stone quad and wedding ring also optional.

Like sherry before it cooking Marsala may be heavily salted. Remember that when salting that chicken.



If butter is healthy, this recipe is super healthy.


This recipe is all about layers like onions or ogres.

Add the broccoli. Preferably more than shown.


Add those evil red things and some wonderful scallions.


Be generous with the cheese folks because cheese.


Mmm. Number Three and Smashed Taters!




Conclusion:
When I eat this recipe, it strikes me as a little off. It is not quite a flavor combination that is right. That said we love it and will make every other week or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment