Thursday, August 7, 2014

Cheese Dreams

This post is motivated by two things.


Three if you count I was hungry and it was lunch time.

The first is bacon. I feel like there are two types of food blogs. One type is for vegan, diabetics with lactose & gluten intolerances and a peanut allergy. Seeing as I love meat, Sprite, cheese, bread, and nuts (giggle), I aim to not be that type. The other type loves bacon. I mean seriously LOVES bacon, like bacon needs a restraining order creepy love. So I figure it was about time I post a recipe with it. Plus you know I do like bacon and all that jazz.


"And cheese daddy! Number four should be cheese!"

The second is cookbooks. I love cookbooks. While I have been called a pack rat and a hoarder over the years (thanks wifey), I prefer the term collector. Specifically I collect old cook books. My oldest (I think) is from 1932: Meals Tested, Tasted, and Approved. Today's recipe comes from it.

Seriously how awesome is that: this book has been exchanging hands since before my parents were born. How many kitchens has it sat in? How many owners? This baby has history.


Cooperative photo.

This photo was a nightmare to upload.
Appreciate it. Appreciate!!!


Resources:
2 tablespoon butter
1 egg beaten
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon mustard
2 teaspoons Worcestershire
2 cups grated cheese (cheddar)
8 slices of bread
8 slice of bacon, cut in half
1/8 teaspoon paprika
Method:
Preheat the oven to broil.

Combine the melted butter, egg, salt, mustard, paprika, and Worcestershire. Then mix in the cheese. Spread on the bread slices. Arrange two half piece of bacon on top.

Bake until the bacon is sufficiently cooked (about four minutes for me).
Commentary:
I halved the recipe since it was just lunch for me. Halving a scrambled egg isn't too bad BTW. I just scrambled it, counted tablespoons, and dumped half of them.
Mix, mix, mix! I definitely had a couple "chunks" of mustard. Mustard is a secondary / minor flavor so it was a bit jarring to bite into a blob.


Do better!

Type of bread is going to make a difference here. I've made it with Italian and generic white bread (Wonder I think). I actually think it turned out better with the white bread. Plus you need to size your bacon appropriately. More on that below.

The cheese mixture will overflow if too close to the edges. That might help avoid charring of the toast though. I encourage you all in internet land to experiment and report back to me.


Notice the time cheese free zone? Do not worry, it will fill in.

It was super-duper greasy. Between the bacon fat and oil from the cheese, some people just should not eat this recipe. Despite the edges of the toast being burnt, the toast was soggy from the greasiness. Next time I think I'll try putting the directly on the oven rack with some foil below to catch the drippings.
The bacon was borderline undercooked. To combat that next time I'd precook the bacon a bit (that should help with sogginess as well). Also the other time I this this I cut into even smaller pieces. The half pieces curled. I would do quarter next time. Cut to fix  your bread at least.

Cut off those crusts. Why eat char?


Five year old me is pleased.
Conclusion:
I love it. I can imagine my grandma making these (I am pretty sure she put a pinch of paprika in everything). That said I would classify this as super unhealthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment